Friday, December 3, 2010

Thoughts for the Holiday Season

I'm inspired to write. I want to keep sharing. I want to stay motivated to do this blog thing.



So here we are: in December. Those who know me, know that I get incredibly excited around this time of year. There are already some pretty incredible things that have happened this holiday season, and it's NOT EVEN CHRISTMAS YET.


Some moments:


-Sitting in the passenger seat of my brother's car, talking to Jared, who was sitting beside me in the driver's seat. It was 1:00 in the morning, and we were eating little debbie's snacks and drinking beverages. I remember the dim light hesitantly glaring at me from my neighbor's lamp post across the street, seemingly further than it really was from my side of the windshield, I remember looking up into the sky and telling myself not to forget those stars, I remember how cold my feet became after a while, the way Jared's voice seemed to echo in my ears, how close the car was parked to the curb, and the way my coat felt against my skin. But mostly I remember feeling so incredibly loved from that conversation we had, so proud of what a man of character my "little" brother is becoming. This wasn't one of your typical sisterly moments, either. If this part of the story were a fairytale, I would have told Kings about this man. I would have written parables and screamed to the heavens about the glory that is in a man forging his path out of a sought love for a God who saved us. Tears do not suffice this time. Neither does singing. Nor dancing. Nor any other artistic expression that makes the earth tremble with its likeness to a wind that has seen everything in its free graze under the skies. I am silent. And I simply stretch my arms and thank my God for His passion and relentless pursuit in US.


-Feeling the first snow before I saw those crystal flakes floating down that day. I was with Cassy Hintz, and we were cold in Panera. We tried to do homework, but got distracted. We both noticed a man strutting by outside; short-sleeved and cigarette-smoking, and we couldn't contain our giggles. It was winter in our hearts, the fun kind. We left before our toes froze. As we ran outside, laughing and ready to go find some "good" hot chocolate in Wal-Mart, we saw the first snow of the year. We ran down the alley, splashing in our made-up puddles, looking up at the dim orange lights like little girls at a circus. We made wishes. And it became magic.


-A sweet conversation with Angelica De La Torre. We were practicing for the Variety Show that was to happen in a few days, and found a cozy little corner in the Union to whip out that guitar and sing together. Minutes ticked on and singing turned into blushing when a large group of fancy looking people walked by, which then turned into more singing and then a laugh or two, and then words exchanged which became like drops of rain colliding together in a great pool of sweet blessings. This girl is a lifegiver, and the love of Christ shines through her beauty. I think we both felt a little "out of it", and we both kept claiming temporary insanity. And it was sweet like the sweetest honey, because God held us in His palm that day, and we both knew it by the time we left.



I am thankful for moments like these, that make the holidays NOT so special. Yes, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I mean it. God shows Himself in the simplest ways sometimes and it doesn't take Christmas to do it. But you've got to open your eyes. Open up your child-like eyes today. Watch what God can do.





P.S. Some roommates and I are joining Amy Seiffert on her quest of wearing one dress for a month (she's doing six months, the beautiful woman!). It's to raise awareness and raise money for The Daughter Project, a Christian organization that mobilizes and restores women who have been sexually trafficked and /or abused. Here's one of Amy's blogs about it:


If you go to her blog and look at other posts, she has picture up of daily dress-wear. It's pretty fantastic.


Also: I came up from work last night at 4:00 a.m. to find Kristin Wilson and Cassy Hintz giggling in my bed. I thought it was a creepy girl under my covers so I came in screaming profanities and ripped the covers off of them before I found out who/what it was.

4:00 a.m.





Have a wonderful day :)

_SEA

No comments:

Post a Comment